Monday, January 21, 2013

Thoughts of a starstruck newcomer

Hello! My name is Amberlyn. I will be playing Cio-cio-san's mother this weekend. This is my first professional stage role. This is exciting, a little scary, and oh-so-totally cool. I don't know if I'm supposed to admit this, but I almost had a fit after the chorus's first staging rehearsal. I worked hard on learning and memorizing the chorus part and the most amazing two words apart from that (which I will sing with Cio-cio-san's cousin). Then, for some reason, I overlooked that, as the title character's mom, I might actually interact with her. So, I get to staging, and everything is going really well. I'm amazed at the voices of the principles and at the fact that this is real (please, pinch me!). My dream is affirmed; I want to do this forever. And then... Well, then, Inna Los touched my arm and looked at me and I sang right to her, and.... I forgot half my words. Thankfully, it was a part during which the entire chorus is singing and each voice part is singing something different. I had to giggle silently, though, at how silly I felt. Each one of those principles was where I am right now.

This opera is absolutely stunning. I love the music. Ms. Vaughn has been patient and thorough in her direction, and our conductor is (obviously) skilled and insightful. The set is fantastic; I think the audience, especially those who have seen Butterfly before, will enjoy it because it is, apparently, a new thing to have multiple levels in a set for this opera.

Right now, I'm looking forward to tomorrow, when I get to put on my wig and makeup for the first time. This will be a fun transformation. I can't wait for everyone else to get to see it all.

Please forgive me if I'm corny. I hope never to lose the amazement I feel when I experience this culmination of so many types of art!

Enjoy the show!

No comments: