Sunday, January 23, 2011


So, we've arrived at tech week! We start in the theatre today dealing with sets, props, lighting and costumes. Woohoo! Tonight we head into the longest rehearsal of the entire process. Gotta make sure everything works.

Before we get into the challenges involved in putting together the technical part of the show, I'd just like to say how much I've enjoyed being in Birmingham so far. I've had the opportunity to explore a bit now. Let's see if I can remember everything...

The Motorcycle Museum. That place is full of every bike you can possibly imagine (and so many more you never considered imagining). I decided I liked the older bikes from the 30's and 40's. Although I must admit that staring down the barrel of a machine gun on a Nazi issue sidecar from World War II felt a little odd.

I made it down to the Alabama Symphony for the Martin Luther King concert. There was a moment in the Tuscaloosa Mediation where I felt myself be carried away to an entirely different planet. Sometimes, I have to do that; just go back to absolute music and be carried away by the magic of sound.

I've been to a number of nice restaurants in the area. Ocean, Highlands Bar and Grill and Chez Fonfon. Seems like I remember amazing trout at Fonfon and beef short ribs at Highlands. But the most lasting impression food wise comes from Lobster Pot Pie at Ocean. Yumm! It does tend to sit in the belly though... ugh.

Of course, it's the people here who have made these things possible. Thank you to everyone involved in making me feel welcome! Thanks especially to the chorus for sponsoring the "O Maguerite" party. It was a lot of fun getting to know everyone in a casual atmosphere. Most everyone got out unscathed too. We should do it again...

Ok. So now we descend into the nitty gritty aspects of "tech." We don't get a break now until after the final dress. All these wonderful people I've just been praising are going to get a little grumpy. But! We SHALL come out the other side victorious! (that's my official position) This cast rocks and I feel we are in good position to make something special! Bring on the magic wine and dry ice!!

No comments: